Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Poetry is commonly published in collections, such as The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson. For collections that are not complete, such as Ariel by Sylvia Plath, check the book's catalog record for table of contents or summaries to locate your specific poem.
- Do a keyword search on the poem's title within quotes, such as "the rabbit catcher" to find the poem in the catalog.
Searches books at Besse Library and other private Ohio academic libraries.
Searches books at Ohio academic libraries. Books from other libraries can be shipped to Besse Library.
American & English Literature
Full text of books and other sources of poetry, drama and prose originally published in print. Also includes 21 historic editions of the Bible in English.
The Poetry Subcollection of the American & English Literature Collection contains many works of poetry based on books and other sources originally published in print. It includes the following:
- African-American Poetry 1760-1900: Almost 3000 poems written by African-American poets in the late 18th and 19th centuries.
- American Poetry 1600-1900: A collection of 1200 books and anthologies of early American poetry, containing more than 40,000 works from over 200 poets. This database contains the works of all major American poets.
- English Poetry 600-1900: The most comprehensive archive of English verse from the 7th century to the 20th; more than 175,000 poems by over 1,400 poets from British Commonwealth and ex-colonial countries.
- 20th Century African-American Poetry: 12,000 poems by more than 100 African-American poets, with biographical profiles.
- 20th Century American Poetry: Collected works and individual volumes of poetry covering the works of most major 20th-century American poets. Over 52,000 works from more than 316 poets.
- 20th Century English Poetry: Over 44,000 poems by 288 poets. Incorporating the Modern Poetry Collection and The Faber Poetry Library, Twentieth-Century English Poetry features many canonical poets as well as those from diverse international backgrounds.
You can find poems online!
Favorite Poem Project
The Favorite Poem Project is dedicated to celebrating, documenting and encouraging poetry’s role in Americans’ lives. Robert Pinsky, the 39th Poet Laureate of the United States, founded the Favorite Poem Project shortly after the Library of Congress appointed him to the post in 1997. During the one-year open call for submissions, 18,000 Americans wrote to the project volunteering to share their favorite poems. This site archives videos of participants in the project reciting the poems they chose.
An online journal that publishes contemporary poetry, interviews with poets, and book reviews. Hosted by North Carolina State University.
The Poetry Archive is a not-for-profit organisation that makes and acquires recordings of poets from around the English-speaking world and makes substantial excerpts from them freely available online.
Organization dedicated to the promotion of poetry in modern society. Publishers of Poetry magazine, they publish a large number of poems free online.
Search over 9,000 poems, over 2,500 poet biographies, as well as essays about poetry, and some of the most important books, anthologies, and textbooks about the art form ever written.
Representative Poetry Online
Representative Poetry Online, edition 6.0, is a web anthology of 4,800 poems in English and French by over 700 poets spanning 1400 years.